Friday, January 5, 2018

"Forgiven to Forgive" - Church Drama Skit


(Based on the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant - Matthew 18:21-35)

Characters: Pastor/Narrator, King, Servant 1, Servant 2, Servant 3

(Props: chair for throne, scroll, crown for King, Biblical era costumes for Servants 1 and 3)

Pastor/Narrator: Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. "Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants.

King (sitting on a throne, scroll in hand): Bring all of the servants to me. It is time to settle the debts once and for all.

(Servant 1 and Servant 2 enter somberly and stand before and on either side of the King, seemingly oblivious to one another)

King (to Servant 1): It says here that you owe me millions of dollars. (to Servant 2) You have sinned against me millions of times. (to both) Can you repay your debt at this time?

Servant 1 and 2 in unison: I cannot.

King (to Servant 1): You realize, then, that I will have to sell you and your family and everything that you have to repay your debt? (to Servant 2) You realize that the punishment for your sin is Hell?

Servant 1 and 2 in unison: Yes.

Servant 1 (falling on their knees): But I beg you, my King, be patient with me and I will pay you back! I will work for you my whole life!

Servant 2 (falling on their knees): I beg you, Father! I believed in You! I lived my whole life for you! I pray that You would remember that Christ died for me and has already paid my debt!

King (to Servant 1): I will have mercy on you. Your debt is canceled. You may go. (to Servant 2) My Son, Jesus, did indeed die for you. But how much you believed in Me and how well you lived your life for Me is yet to be seen.

Servant 1 (getting up and walking away as Servant 3 enters): Hey! You better have my money! I lent you five bucks the other day and I want it back!

Servant 3: Oh. No, I don’t have it yet.

Servant 1 (choking Servant 3): Pay back what you owe me!

Servant 3 (falling on their knees): Please! Be patient with me and I will pay you back!

Servant 1: No! I’m turning you in! You should have paid me when you had the chance!

King (to Servant 2): When someone did something that hurt you or said something that hurt you, did you forgive them? Or did you just want to take revenge and hurt them back? Were you a forgiving person or did you hold grudges against others?

Servant 2: I… Forgiving is hard.

King (standing up, angry, to Servant 1): You! Come here! (Servant 1 comes back and kneels before the King) You wicked servant! I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you? (to Servant 2) Yes, forgiving is hard. But my Son, Jesus, died for you to forgive you for all of your sins. If you had truly believed in Me, if you had truly understood what it meant to live for Me, you would have taken that as an example. You would have been grateful and would have forgiven others when they sinned against you, just as you had been forgiven…(motioning to both Servants 1 and 2) Take them away.




No comments:

Post a Comment