Friday, June 27, 2014

The Parable of the Rich Fool Sunday School Lesson and Activities

Use this Parable of the Rich Fool Sunday School lesson to teach children to be generous.

Needed: A bunch of shirts (or something else you have a lot of), drawing paper, crayons or markers

Lesson: (Note: Always allow students enough time to think about and answer the questions before clarifying the teaching.)

Bring in a bunch of shirts and say something like, “Wow, I have a lot of shirts, don’t I? Do you think I need all these shirts? What if I took this one (pull one out) and gave it away? Would I still have enough shirts? I think I would still have enough.”

(Summarize Luke 12:13-21 by reading the following story and asking the questions.)

Jesus told a story, saying, “There was a farmer whose land grew so many crops one year that he didn’t know what to do. The farmer said, ‘I have so many extra crops that I can’t fit them all into my barn! What should I do?’”

What do you think the farmer should do with all his extra crops?

Do you think maybe the farmer should give some of his extra crops to people who need them?

“But the farmer didn’t want to give anything away. He wanted to keep everything for himself, so he said, ‘I know what I’ll do! I’ll tear down my old barn and build a bigger one to replace it. Then I’ll have enough room for all my crops. Then I can sit back and relax and know that I won’t have to do any more farming for a long time, since I have so much extra food.’ But that night, God said, ‘You fool! You’re not going to live long enough to enjoy all that extra food you saved up for yourself. You’re going to die tonight.’”

Did the farmer get to keep all the extra food he saved up for himself? No.

And that’s why God doesn’t want us to keep too many things for ourselves. He doesn’t want us to be greedy and keep things just for us. He wants us to keep only what we need and then give our extras away so that we can help other people. If we give our extra things or our extra money away to help other people, God will be happy with us.

(If your church has a donation drop-off, take the children with you to place your shirt or other items in the drop-box.)

Ask students, Have you ever given something away or helped your parents give something away?

What did you give away?

How do you think that item will help someone else?

(Hand out paper and crayons or markers.) Let’s all draw a picture of something that you can give away this week. Remember that God is happy when we give things away to help other people.

Find more Sunday School lesson ideas on our Free Children Sunday School Lesson Helps page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment