Thursday, June 26, 2014

Joseph Sunday School Lesson - Joseph, Jesus' Adopted Father

Use this Joseph Sunday School lesson to teach kids about Joseph and his obedience.

Needed: A volunteer to play Joseph

Lesson: Over the last two weeks, we’ve met some very important people in the Bible. First, we went back and talked to Zechariah and Elizabeth, the parents of John the Baptist. And last week, we talked to Mary, Jesus’ mother. And we did all that pretending to be Luke, the doctor, who went back and talked to those people and then wrote down their stories in the Bible book of Luke and the Bible book of Acts. But there was another person who Luke did not get to talk to because this other person died before Luke started writing his books. The only way we know about this other person is through another Bible book, the book of Matthew, which was written by one of Jesus’ followers. So let’s meet this other person now.

Ask “Joseph” to come in.

Joseph: Hello, everyone! My name is Joseph. I was engaged to be married to Mary. I think you met her last week. But before we got married, Mary told me she was pregnant with God’s Son. Well, I have to say that I didn’t believe her at first. You see, normally, back in those days, if a woman got pregnant when she wasn’t married, she was supposed to be killed as a punishment. Well, I didn’t want that to happen to Mary so I was just going to break-up with her and not make a big deal about it.

But then, one night while I was sleeping, I dreamed that an angel came and talked to me. “Do not be afraid to marry Mary,” he said, “because she will give birth to God’s Son. And you are to name Him Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.”

So I woke up and I believed what the angel told me. And I believed what Mary had told me. She really was going to give birth to God’s Son. So when Jesus was born, I adopted Him and took care of Him like He was my son. But I knew that He was really God’s Son.

Have the students thank Joseph for telling his story and then find out how much they learned by asking the following review questions. Remember to allow students enough time to think about and answer the questions before clarifying the teaching.

What good things did Joseph do in this story? He didn’t want Mary to be killed and he believed God when the angel told him about Jesus.

And we all have to be like Joseph in that way. We shouldn’t want anyone to be hurt and we all have to believe and trust what God tells us.

Was Joseph Jesus’ real father? No. God was Jesus’ Father and Mary was Jesus’ mother. Joseph just adopted Jesus and took care of Him.

The angel told Joseph that Jesus would save His people from their sins. How does Jesus save us? If we believe in Jesus, God saves us from going to Hell when we die. God said that anyone who does anything wrong, anyone who sins, has to die and go to Hell for their punishment. But Jesus came and died on the cross and He went to Hell in our place, so that if we believe in Jesus, we don’t have to go to Hell, Instead, we can live forever with God and Jesus.

Find more Sunday School lesson ideas on our Free Children Sunday School Lesson Helps page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment