Sunday, June 8, 2014

Children's Sermon on Being a New Creation - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Children's Sermon on Being a New Creation - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Use this children's sermon on being a new creation to teach children how God changes us.

Needed: Play-doh or some type of modeling clay

Lesson: Tell students, I've brought some Play-doh today. How many of you like Play-doh?

What would you like me to make with the Play-doh? Make it easy, please, because I'm not an expert Play-doh sculptor like I used to be when I was your age.

(Do your best to make the easiest suggestion the kids give you.)

Okay. Let's do one more. What should I make next?

(Again, choose something simple and form it.)

Now, let me ask you something. Was the first thing I made the same thing as the second thing I made? (No. It was totally different.)

But I used the same Play-doh, didn't I? (Yes.)

So I made one thing, then used the same Play-doh to make something totally different. You know, that's the same thing God does with us. Before we believe in God, we live our lives one way. Maybe we do some bad things, and we don't do what God wants us to do. But then we do believe in God, and He changes us. We're still the same person, just like it was the same piece of Play-doh, but God changes us into something new.

(Read or paraphrase 2 Corinthians 5:17, quoted here in the NIV.)

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!"

God makes us into a new creation. We're the same person, just like it was the same Play-doh, but now God has changed us into something new so that now, we want to do the right things and to live our lives for God.

Let's pray about that.

Sample prayer: Father, we thank You for loving us and we thank You for the way You change us into new creations so that we can live for You and love You better. In Jesus' name we pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment